Sunday, January 24, 2010

Winter is one of my favorite times of year.


Coming from Chicago I am quite used to cold weather & all of the inconveniences that come with it. But there are some cold weather happenings that are warm & wonderful. Like cuddling in front of a crackling fire. Sipping hot chocolate & warming up with a hearty winter stew. But now that I am eating a healthier vegetarian diet- what do you do? Get creative, that’s what. This is one of my mother’s favorites. I call it No Chicken & Dumplings. And the best thing is that I make it in the slow cooker.
What could be easier? I think you will like it.
Enjoy!!

1 small sweet onion
1 Tbsp olive oil
1 32 oz. box of no chicken vegetable broth(vegetarian but chicken tasting)
1 bag of frozen mixed vegetables or 1 cup each of broccoli, carrots & cauliflower
1 packet vegetarian chicken gravy seasoning
1 Tbsp. flour
1 & 1/2 cups multigrain baking mix
½ cup fat free milk

Sauté onions in olive oil & add broth,vegetables & gravy seasoning mix to slow cooker. Cook on low for about 4 hours. Add flour, stir & cook for another 20 minutes. For dumplings mix together baking mix & milk & add by spoonfuls to top the mixture cover & heat another 30-40 minutes.

1 comment:

  1. I love my slow cooker. It can be hard to find vegetairan slow cooker recipes. I have a bunch of healthy ones on my blog.

    ReplyDelete