Monday, November 1, 2010

Refrigerator Pickles

I love a good deli pickle. But the pickles you buy in those jars at the market just don’t cut it! They are all soggy & not at all tasty. I had always heard about these pickles you could make & keep in the refrigerator for 2 weeks. After doing some research I found some recipes & tried them out. Of course, I had to make a recipe my own, & this is what I came up with.

Take 6-8 pickling cucumbers & quarter them lengthwise into spears. Place them in a container that you can seal & keep in the refrigerator. Cover the spears with this combination:


2 cups cold water
1/3 cup white vinegar
1 TBSP. kosher salt
2 teaspoons sugar
5 whole peppercorns
10 grinds of pepper
3 cloves of garlic

Keep these pickles in the fridge. I have been told that they last for 2 weeks, I really do not know because my family devours them in less than a week!
P.S. I also read that they need 2 days to “cure”. But, I love them even after 1 day!

4 comments:

  1. I love pickles and never thought about making them myself! Totally trying this, thanks for posting!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I simply cannot wait to try these!!! I spend a fortune on Claussen pickles for the very reason you wrote about--can't stand a soggy pickle.

    It'll be great to make my own. I've never heard of "refrigerator pickles" before today. I grow a garden and ALWAYS have boxes of cucumbers that end up in compost even after giving loads away... I think this could easily become my #1 Favorite Summer Recipe! I'm just imagining fresh pickles at family dinners and bbq's... My friends, family, and neighbors will love me. :)

    Of course, I can't wait til the summer. I'm gonna have to buy some cucumbers during my next grocery shopping adventure and try this asap.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Dana..I tried them and they were so good! I couldn't wait 2 days to let them cure so I tried after a day and they were delish!
    I actually made 2 batches. In the second batch I added some crushed red pepper flakes, just for a little kick...yum!
    Thanks Andrea!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oooooh! Thanks for coming back to tell us Susan. OK that settles it. Gonna hunt me up some cucumbers this week. Did you use regular size cucumbers? I grow my own and pick 'em when they're right at that just-perfect-pickle-size. Although oddly enough I've only tried to make pickles once and it didn't turn out so well. However, I still pick 'em and give 'em away to a few pickle-making friends. (Yep, I live waaaayyyy out in the country. lol!)

    ReplyDelete